4 lbs. of beef bones (beef knuckles, shank, marrow, leg bones, brisket, chuck- whatever you can find)
1 large onion cut in half
1 six inch piece of ginger cut in half lengthwise
4 quarts water
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
3 whole star anise pods
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 cup fish sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sweetener (try monk fruit)
For the Toppings
finely shaved flank steak (cut against the grain)
rice noodles or miracle noodles
Thai basil (or regular basil)
hoisin or sriracha
Cook bones and onion on baking sheet in oven at 425 for about an hour.
Place water, ginger, spices, fish sauce, salt, sugar, and bones/onion in large pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 6-10 hours.
Serve hot with all the fixings. You can put your finely shaved flank steak right into the hot bowl of soup and it will cook in seconds. Enjoy!
SOME TIPS BEFORE YOU START:
1. Roast your beef bones and onion at 425 for about an hour before putting into your soup pot.
2. 4 quarts = 16 cups.
3. Cook for a long time - at least 6 hours.
4. Skim off the remnants that float to top for a very clean and clear broth.
5. Use Miracle Noodles or some other low carb replacement.
6. Slice your flank steak very thinly, almost in shavings. Put the raw beef in your hot liquid. It will cook in the bowl!
Carb amount varies depending on what topping ingredients you use, but a typical bowl without rice noodles will have about 1-2 grams of carbs