If you’ve never made a whole roasted chicken before, you are absolutely missing out.
6 lb. whole chicken
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 lemon, cut in half
20 twigs of thyme
1 medium onion, cut in half
1 whole head garlic, cut in half horizontally
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
Heat oven to 425. Place chicken on deep baking tray. Remove packet from cavity of chicken. Pat the outside and inside of the chicken dry with paper towels.
Spread butter around on inside and outside. Season with salt and pepper inside and out. Stuff cavity with lemon, onion, garlic, and thyme.
Tie the drumsticks together and tuck the wings under. Put in oven uncovered and bake for about 90 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160. Temperature should go up to 165 while it is resting.
Remove and tent loosely with foil. Let rest for 15 minutes, then carve up!
Here are some tips:
1. Take out the packet of innards that is inside the chicken. Drain the juice out from inside the chicken.
2. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. The outside and the inside of the cavity. And I mean DRY! This will give the chicken the crispy skin that is so desirable
3. Butter and season it liberally.
4. Use fresh ingredients. Fresh thyme, real lemons, and a whole onion. And do not skip the whole garlic. Using the minced garlic from the jar isn’t going to cut it.
5. Tent your chicken loosely with foil when it comes out of the oven. This will help the skin remain crispy.
6. Let your chicken rest for 15 minutes before cutting into it.