Yield: 4 servings
Tom Yum Gai
This classic Thai soup has that perfectly irresistible sour and spicy flavor combination.
- 6 cups chicken stock + 2 cups water
- 1 stalk lemon grass (bottom 1/3 minced and top 2/3 left whole)
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 5 scallions (bottom white halves chopped, top green halves chopped and reserved for later)
- 6 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 Thai bird chilies
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (or 2 bay leaves and 1 tablespoon lime zest)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 lb. chicken cut into thin slices
- 2 teaspoons monk fruit sweetener (or any sugar-free sweetener)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- juice of one lime (or about 2-3 teaspoons of lime juice)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Sriracha, chili oil, or red chili flakes to taste
- Combine stock and water in large pot and boil. Add lemon grass and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn down heat and add garlic, white scallions, ginger, chilies, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, and coconut aminos. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken, and sweetener and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Then add coconut milk, lime juice, and cilantro. Add more spicy ingredients to taste. Serve!
9.75 grams of carbs per serving
You can make this soup as spicy as you want. Add extra chilies, chili oil, red pepper flakes, sriracha, or any hot sauce you have around your house.
Copyright The Keto Society © 2019