Keto Shepherd's Pie
This Keto Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect low carb option for Saint Patrick’s Day, but makes for an amazing dinner year round!
I used a mixture of ground lamb and ground beef. But if you hate lamb, feel free to use all beef. And if you love lamb then make it with all lamb!
My twist on the classic recipe are these:
I put roasted garlic in the mashed cauliflower. So so good.
I put 1/4 cup of sugar-free BBQ sauce in the meat mixture! It helps to thicken and bind the mixture. And it also brings such a wonderful flavor.
I drizzled thyme-infused brown butter on the top of the pie. Because why not!!!
Keto Shepherd's Pie
This Keto Shepherd's Pie has a few subtle twists that make it even better than the classic but without straying too much.
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 6 oz. cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sugar free BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Roast garlic by cutting off top third of garlic and discarding. Put remaining garlic bulb in foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with a touch of salt. Cover the garlic with the foil and bake at 400 F for about 45 minutes or until garlic becomes soft and light brown. Squeeze out roasted garlic into food processor.
- Steam cauliflower by cutting off stalks and placing in steamer basket. Place in large pot with just an inch of water in the bottom. Cover and heat on high. Cauliflower should be done with it is easily pierced with a knife (about 20 minutes).
- Put all remaining ingredients in food processor and pulse for several minutes or until smooth.
- Saute onion over medium heat.
- Once softened, add lamb and beef.
- When almost done cooking, add peas/carrots, tomato paste, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Put meat mixture into casserole dish.
- Top with mashed cauliflower.
- Bake at 425 on top oven rack until heated through and top starts to brown.
- Make your brown butter by heating butter and thyme in small saucepan on low-medium heat for about 8-10 minutes or until butter has a nutty aroma and has turned light brown.
- Drizzle on top of pie.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.